Best Walking Canes for Women 2024
If you feel unsteady on your feet and your balance and co-ordination is not what it used to be, then you need some extra help in the form of a walking cane to support you.
Perhaps you have had an operation, illness, or recovering from an injury, or you need a walking cane or stick to provide reassurance and confidence when you are walking.
For some people negotiating steps into their property, or outside on and off the pavement has become more difficult.
Read on for our recommendations, and top tips on choosing the best walking canes for women 2024
10 Best Walking Canes for Women 2024
1. Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare Folding Walking Stick with Gel Grip Handle
( Best Overall )
Company: Drive DeVilbiss
Our Rating: 4.9 / 5.0
This fantastic soft gel handle grip lightweight walking stick is perfect for someone with weak, or arthritic hands to relieve the stress and fatigue when walking. You will love this sturdy walking stick, which offers you good stability and support when out and about.
- Cane folds into 4 convenient parts for easy storage
- Available in either black, or a decorative blue or red crackle colour
- Soft gel grip handle
- Easy to fold away or assemble
- Strong, sturdy stick offering you good stability and confidence when walking
- Good height adjuster which is perfect for people of all different sizes
- Soft gel grip handle perfect if you have arthritic fingers, or weak hand grip
- Good folding mechanism
- Rubber tip can soon wear down
- Weight Capacity – 135kg ( 21 Stones )
- Handle height adjusts in 2.5cm (1″) increments from 84 – 94cm (33″- 37″)
This folding walking stick offers you not only great value for money, but is lightweight, sturdy and supportive when you are out in all weathers.
This offers everything you need in a walking cane with no fancy extras, and based on the cost and how well it performs, is the best overall walking cane for women 2019.
2. Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare Height Adjustable Aluminium Cane Seat
Company: Drive Medical
Our Rating: 4.8 / 5.0
This stylish folding cane seat provides you with a sturdy support cane when closed, and a comfortable seat to rest on when open. Made of a strong and lightweight aluminium design, it is perfect for someone on the go, or traveling.
- Lightweight aluminium construction (2Kg)
- Tripod design
- Vinyl contoured tipped legs
- Adjustable seat height
- Hard wearing non-slip ferrules
- As a side feature, the surfaces take tape really well. Specifically, reflective tape for better visibility crossing streets
- When it’s folded flat, it’s a good cane and the side prongs are the right length to roll along with the cane’s natural swing, offering a little extra support at either end of the motion
- The seat is designed as a saddle with the handle as the pommel in front of (in a straddle position). This offers you greater lumbar back support when sitting and is perfect for someone who suffers with low back or hip pain.
- Easy to carry, particularly on long walks
( If you try to sit with the handle at the back, you will need assistance to get up, unless there is something within reach that you can grab onto )
- Not very sturdy for the heavier user
- Little awkward to carry than a conventional cane or stick
- Maximum Height – 34″
- Product Depth – 9″
- Product Height – 33″
- Product Thickness – 2″
- Product Width – 3″
- Tip size – 1″
This durable aluminium cane seat is perfect for someone who needs to take regular breaks when walking to rest, and sit down, due to its easy fold able seat.
3. Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare Aluminium Quad Cane Walking Aid
Company: Drive DeVilbiss
Our Rating: 4.5 / 5.0
If you have generally poor mobility, co-ordination and balance then a quad cane is the perfect choice for you. Similar to a standard cane, the four small feet that extend from the base of the stick give you greater support and stability than a normal cane when walking.
- Chrome plated
- Lightweight aluminium design
- Four point rubber ferrule base
- Simple e-clip height adjustment from 72cm – 98cm (28″ – 39″) allows adaptability for different users
- Swan shaped curved neck on shaft allows user to place weight directly over stick and through to base for increased safety
- Wide base support which offer you good stability – reduces the risks of falls
- Free standing which means it is always in easy reach by your side when sitting
- Strong lightweight aluminium design
- Wider base encourage a slower gait or walking pattern which help reduce the risk of accidents or falls
- Offset swan shaped curved neck on shaft allows user to place weight directly over stick and through to base for increased safety. This reduces the stress and fatigue through your wrist and hand when using
- A little on the heavy side for some women with limited grip strength
- Small Base – as shown ( 14cm x 14cm / 5 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ )
- Maximum Weight Capacity – 127Kg ( 20 Stones )
For someone who needs more support the quad cane walking aid is also available in a larger wide base ( 28cm x 17cm ).
For the price this cane offers great value for money. It is durable, supportive and sturdy for someone who needs that extra bit of support when mobilising.
4. Fashionable Ladies Folding Walking Stick
Company: Classic Canes
Our Rating: 4.8 / 5.0
This is a pretty, contemporary stick that offers excellent support for you. It has a stylish decorative design and can easily be folded away when not in use.
Has a strong but lightweight aluminium shaft
Folds away into 4 sections
Attractive decorative design
Comfortable round handle design
Easily height adjustable clip
- Lightweight but deceptively strong.
- Eye catching design that gives you a more personal feel.
- Small and discreet when folded away, you can even fit it in your handbag.Comfortable rounded handle with the hook design enables you to attach onto your arm when not in use.
- The foldaway design is not everyone’s choice
- Height adjustable from 8cm to 92cm ( in 2.5cm increments )
This stylish, decorative walking stick is a popular choice amongst women who are looking for a lightweight, but sturdy stick. It is both portable and easy to fold away for storage, or when traveling out and about.
5. Homecraft Traditional Crook Handle Chestnut Walking Stick
Company: Patterson Medical
Our Rating: 4.5 / 5.0
If you are looking for a traditional crook handle wooden walking stick then this is for you. Handcrafted out of solid chestnut, this stick offers you good support and stability when out and about on all types of terrain.
- Traditional crook handle
- Made out of solid chestnut
- Strong rubber ferrule on base
- Strong and sturdy walking stick which gives you lots of support
- Easy to remove ferrule to cut down to correct height for you
- Affordable stick which offers you great value for money
- Feels heavy and substantial when using which gives lots of confidence mobilising
- Crook handle style shape may not suit everyones’ grip
If you want a strong traditional straightforward walking stick, which is excellent value for money then the Homecraft Traditional Crook Handle Chestnut Walking Stick is definitely for you.
6. Kensington Design Switch Stick Folding and Adjustable Walking Stick
Company: Switch Sticks
Our Rating: 4.9 / 5.0
This elegant and fashionable walking stick can easily be folded and stored away, giving you the flexibility to go anywhere. With its unique design and variety of colours available, you can be sure that there is a stick that fits your individual style.
- Made of tough durable lightweight aluminium
- Colour coordinated wrist strap and ferrule
- Walking stick adjusts in 2.5 cm increments ranging from 81 cm to 94 cm
- Folds away for easy storage
- Lightweight and very strong offering you good support and stability
- Able to support a user weight of up to 120Kg
- Foldaway design which is perfect for easy storage and transportation
- Easily adjustable in 2.5cm increments to ensure you have the right height for you
- Height ranges from 81 cm to 94 cm to suit those short or tall
- Sturdy strap
- Handy carrying case
- Not much not to like about this stick, except can be a little tricky to fold away
- Adjustable height – 81cm to 94cm
Not only is this stick a stylish popular fashion accessory which every woman will love, but with its strong lightweight base and practical foldaway design, it is a perfect choice when out and about.
7. Classic Canes Chrome Knob Formal Cane
Company: Classic Canes
Rating: 4.2 / 5.0
This is a traditional type of cane which is more suited for formal occasions. With its striking decorated chrome plated handle and hardwood shaft, it feels sturdy to use and will give you an elegant touch when out and about.
- Chrome plated handle
- Matt black finished hardwood shaft
- Screwed tip metal base
- Comfortable fit of handle on palm of hand
- Great for formal occasions
- Excellent stick for the price
- Sturdy and supportive
- Able to be cut down to correct height for you
- The metal screw tip base can sometimes come loose
- Overall height – 92cm (36″)
- Ferrule diameter – 19mm
- Item weight – 440g.
If you want to stand out at those formal occasions such as a wedding or special party, then this decorated formal looking cane is just what you need.
8. Carex Health Brands Soft Grip Derby Cane
Company: Carex Health Brands
Our Rating: 4.5 / 5.0
This designer soft grip cane features innovative technology that decreases shock and reduces fatigue in the hand and upper body. In addition, it has an anti-slip tip providing extra traction and stability which gives you the confidence to use in all terrains.
- Soft grip, latex-free handle
- Adjustable push button height
- Convenient wrist strap
- Ergonomic handle adaptable for both left and right-handed users
- The ergonomic soft grip handle reduces the shock impact through your hand and wrist joints, especially useful if you have weak or arthritic hands
- Wrist strap secures the cane to your wrist for added security and support for you
- The anti-slip tip provides extra traction and stability giving you increased confidence, particularly on uneven surfaces
- Adjustable height means it is set at the correct and best functional height for you
- The cane can feel a little hollow at times when using
- Weight Capacity – 250Ibs
- Product Weight – 0.74Ibs
- Cane Dimensions – (31″ – 40″) x 5.2″ x 1.5″
- Handle – Soft Grip Derby
- Tip – 3/4″
- Height Adjustable – Yes
- Wrist Strap – Yes
This cane certainly gives you a lot for your money, and will give you a lot of use and pleasure for many years to come.
9. Homecraft Comfy Grip Short Right Handed Folding Short Walking Stick
Our Rating: 4.8 / 5.0
This lightweight but sturdy walking stick, with its ergonomically shaped Fischer style hand support is perfect for someone with painful or arthritic fingers, or who finds it difficult to grip a conventional stick handle.
- Ergonomic ‘Fischer style’ handle
- Available in both left and right-handed use
- Neatly folds away
- Maximum user weight – 115Kg
- Decorative woodland flower design
- Integrated wrist strap handle support
- The ergonomic Fischer style handle spreads pressure evenly across the palm, reducing pain and fatigue in your hand and wrist joint
- Foldaway for easy storage and transportation when not in use
- Sturdy but also lightweight and able to accommodate a maximum user weight of 115Kg
- Has wrist handle which gives you added security and support
- Attractive decorative design which will make you
- Available in both left and right handle designs
- Can be a little short for someone over 6′ 4″
- Size: 775-875 mm (31-35 Inches)/Left Hand / 825-925 mm (33-37 Inches)/Left Hand
- ( Also available in Right Hand )
- Adjustable height: 74 – 95.5cm (29 – 38″)
- Ferrule size: 19mm (0.75″)
- Maximum user weight: 136kg (21.25 stone)
This is a perfect folding walking stick with an easy to hold ergonomic handle, adjustable to many lengths and lightweight and sturdy for easy manoeuverability, and can be purchased in a choice of stylish designs.
10. Hurrycane All-Terrain Cane Folding Walking Stick
Our Rating: 4.7 / 5.0
This cane really impresses. Whether you are walking on the flat, or over uneven surfaces, the cane offers you exceptional stability and support due to its unique adjustable pivoting 3 base rubber support. But that’s not all – look at some other features.
- 3 point contact at base of cane which stabilizes like a foot. The cane naturally simulates your normal gait or walking pattern, giving you increased traction and stability
- The cane automatically pivots adjusting to a change in incline, uneven ground or terrain like the ankle joint of your foot, which helps you maintain your balance on the most testing of surfaces
- Folds away to a 1/3 of its normal size so it can easily be stored away
- Has 8 different adjustable height settings ranging from 30.5″ to 37.5″
- Can easily be assembled
- Freestanding design
- Available in 4 different colours (black, blue, red, purple)
- Maximum user weight of 25 Stones
- Excellent stability and support due to its unique 3 point contact base
- Foldaway and compact when not in use (perfect for traveling)
- Can be lengthened and shortened in seconds
- Strong sturdy cane
- Able to be used for someone up to 25 Stones
- Comfortable grip handle which will reduce the stress and discomfort in your fingers and hand
- Fine on level but pivot doesn’t flex enough to give safe grip on a significant slope (only one of three pads may touch the ground, giving less stability than a conventional walking stick
- Pivoting foot can be a little rigid at times
- Not always freestanding, particularly on carpet
- Height Adjustable: 77.5-95cm (30.5-37.5″)
- Folded Size: 35cm (13.8″)
- Base Diameter: 9cm (3.5″)
- Weight: 0.5kgs
- Maximum User Weight: 159kgs (25 stone)
This walking cane certainly gets into my top 10. It is lightweight, strong and can easily be folded away for storage or to carry.
The cane’s unique pivoting base gives you added stability and support, giving you increased confidence when walking, and is good value for money.
So there you have it, 10 of the best walking canes and sticks for women. If you feel you need a little extra support when mobilising, then there are lots of different mobility aids available to choose from, such as walker zimmer frames, 3 wheel walkers, 4 wheel walkers and mobility scooters, all designed to help you get around safely.
In addition, there are lots of different chair exercises you can do to keep both your joints flexible and maintain the strength in your legs when you are sat down. These exercises will help improve your mobility and prevent falls.
Things to Consider when choosing Canes or Sticks for Women
1. What is the maximum user’s weight ?
All walking canes and sticks will have a maximum user weight, so it’s a good idea to check before purchasing.
2. Do you want an adjustable cane or stick ?
- Adjustable canes and sticks are extendable in two ways – either by a telescopic twist mechanism, that allows you to finely tune the height of your cane, or an adjustable pin mechanism that extends in small increments.
3. Do you want a foldaway cane or stick ?
- If you don’t need a walking aid all the time, then a foldaway cane or stick is a good option. Folding walking canes or sticks are ideal if you want to compact them to store away in a bag or briefcase ( often they can fold down to 10-12 inches in size ).These types of canes and sticks seem to be growing in popularity. Many have their own wrist strap attached and a carrying case.
4. What kind of material do you want your cane or stick made of ?
- Some people prefer the traditional feel of wood, whilst others prefer metal and carbon fibre canes and sticks, which tend to be stronger than wooden ones. Also, carbon fibre ones are more lightweight than a conventional wooden cane or stick.
5. What type of walking cane or stick handle is best for you ?
- Walking canes and stick handles come in a variety of styles and shapes, so it is important to consider what suits you best. You have the conventional crook handle design, T shape handles or swan neck design.
- For people with a weak grip or painful joints, or arthritic fingers a Fischer style would be suitable. Fischer sticks are essentially a mould of your palm spreading the person’s weight across the palm of their hand. They come in either left-handed or right-handed designs, depending on which hand you use them in.
How to measure your cane or stick to ensure it’s the correct height
Making sure that that your walking cane or stick is the correct height for you is the key to safe use, improved mobility and lessens the risk of injuries occurring.
Many models of canes are adjustable, but it is still helpful to set your cane or stick to the correct height from the start.
Step 1: The correct positioning for the user
The user should stand upright wearing footwear they would normally wear for walking in, with their arms relaxed (with a slight normal bend of the elbows), and by their side.
Step 2: Measure the walking cane or stick
Measure the distance from the crease line of your wrist to the floor. This is the correct height that your cane or stick should be (from the top of the handle to the underneath part of the rubber tip or ferrule).
Cut or adjust the cane or stick to the correct height you need.
Note – non-adjustable canes and sticks may need to be cut down to the correct size.
An estimate of the proper cane length can be made by dividing an individual’s height by two. For most persons, the right sized cane is within one inch of half their height. This guideline can be applied if the user is not available for an actual measurement.
How to walk correctly using your cane or stick
The correct cane can relieve pressure on sore knees, hips, ankles and feet, as well as improve your balance. However, it’s important that you use the correct gait when using your cane or stick.
Tips for using walking canes and sticks for women
There are lots of helpful tips and advice to help keep you safe when you are using your cane or stick.
Tip 1. Walking with your cane or stick
If you’re using one stick, it goes on the same side as the stronger leg and moves when the weaker leg does. If you’re using two sticks, you either move them both together with the weaker leg or move them in turn together with the opposite leg.
Tip 2. Using Steps and Stairs
Generally when you are using the stairs there is one handrail, and occasionally no handrails. It is important that you use the correct technique when using your cane or stick on the stairs to reduce the risk of falls or accidents happening.
Walking Cane Accessories for Women
They not only come in different sizes but also a variety of styles and colours to suit you. It is important to check regularly your rubber ferrule (rubber tip) on the base of your cane to ensure that it has not worn down.
Cane holders are ideal when out and about and you need to place your walking stick down. The Cane Holders attach to your walking stick just below the handle, allowing you to rest it against a surface without your cane slipping and falling to the ground.
Walking cane and stick wrist straps give you added security and support when out and about. These wrist straps keep the cane or stick attached to your wrist, and are easy to grab when needed.
It is also an ideal way of preventing the cane or stick from slipping away from you, especially if you have a weaker grip. An inexpensive, but essential accessory, these wrist straps bring new life to your walking cane or stick.
Lights can be easily attached to the walking cane or stick to ensure that your path ahead is illuminated. This is especially useful for someone with poor vision, or when walking in subdued or dimly lit areas, helping to prevent falls and trips.
Hope you found the information on the best walking canes for women 2024 useful. If you need any help or advice about a certain product, or any other questions, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com and I will be happy to help.