Best Walking Canes for Men 2023
If you feel unsteady on your feet and your balance and co-ordination is not what it used to be, then you need some extra help in the form of a walking cane to support you.
Perhaps you have had an operation, illness, or recovering from an injury such as a fall, or you need a walking cane or stick to provide reassurance and confidence when you are walking.
For some people negotiating steps, stairs or uneven surfaces walking outside is difficult without a walking aid to help you.
Thankfully help is at hand. Here at Elderly Falls Prevention we have tested different styles and shapes of walking canes and sticks to find the best products for you.
The Best Walking Canes for Men 2023 come in lots of different shapes, sizes and specifications, so there is a walking cane to suit everyone’s needs.
Take a look at our recommendations, tips and advice for choosing the right walking cane for you.
10 Best Walking Canes for Men 2023
1. Best Overall Walking Cane for Men
Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare Folding Walking Stick with Gel Grip Handle
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
This fantastic soft gel handle grip lightweight walking stick is perfect for someone with weak, or arthritic hands to relieve the stress and fatigue when walking.
You will love this sturdy walking stick, which offers you good stability and support when out and about.
- Cane folds into 4 convenient parts for easy storage
- Available in either black, or a decorative blue or red crackle colour
- Soft gel grip handle
- Easy to fold away or assemble
- Strong, sturdy stick offering you good stability and confidence when walking
- Good height adjuster which is perfect for people of all different sizes
- Soft gel grip handle perfect if you have arthritic fingers, or weak hand grip
- Good folding mechanism
- Rubber tip or ferrule can soon wear down, however this is easily replaceable
- Weight Capacity – 135kg ( 21 Stones )
- Handle height adjusts in 2.5cm (1″) increments from 84 – 94cm (33″- 37″)
This folding walking stick offers you not only great value for money, but is lightweight, sturdy and supportive when you are out in all weathers.
2. Best Wooden Walking Cane for Men
Everyday Gents Walking Stick Carved Wood Derby Handle Cane
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
This spiral Derby handle Everyday Gents Carved Wood Stick will certainly make you stand out in a crowd.
This lightweight robust stylish looking cane offers you all the support you need, and is great value for money.
- The spiral carved into the beech wood gives it a distinctive appearance
- The derby handle offers excellent support to the hand, and may be hooked over the arm when not in use.
- Great value cane
- Lightweight but deceptively strong
- Derby handle can easily be hooked onto your arm to carry, or easily stored away
- Firm grip on the handle
- As non-adjustable needs to be cut down to the correct height for the user
- Overall Height – 92cm (36″) Also available in ladies version – 87cm (34″)
- Ferrule diameter – 19mm (3/4″) Ladies version – 16mm
- Item weight – 350g / Ladies – 320g
Thoughtfully designed and crafted, this wooden cane is both lightweight and deceptively strong. This popular everyday cane will last you a lifetime.
3. Best Adjustable Folding Walking Cane for Men
Kensington Design Switch Stick Folding and Adjustable Walking Stick
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
This elegant and fashionable walking stick can easily be folded and stored away, giving you the flexibility to go anywhere.
With its unique design and variety of colours available, you can be sure that there is a stick that fits your individual style.
- Made of tough durable lightweight aluminium
- Colour co-ordinated wrist strap and ferrule
- Walking stick adjusts in 2.5 cm increments ranging from 81 cm to 94 cm
- Folds away for easy storage
- Lightweight and very strong offering you good support and stability
- Able to support a user weight of up to 120Kg
- Foldaway design which is perfect for easy storage and transportation
- Easily adjustable in 2.5cm increments to ensure you have the right height for you
- Height ranges from 81 cm to 94 cm to suit those short or tall
- Sturdy strap
- Handy carrying case
- Not much not to like about this stick, except can be a little tricky to fold away, especially if you have poor dexterity, or arthritic fingers
- Adjustable height – 81cm to 94cm
Not only is this stick a stylish popular fashion accessory, but with its strong lightweight base and practical foldaway design, it is a perfect choice for you when out and about.
4. Best Soft Grip Walking Cane for Men
Carex Soft Grip Foldable Walking Cane
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
This cane has a really supportive, comfortable grip even when walking on uneven surfaces, or when the handle gets wet.
It can be conveniently folded away quickly when not needed, for storage or when travelling.
- Soft grip, latex-free handle
- Adjustable push button height
- Convenient wrist strap
- Ergonomic handle adaptable for both left and right-handed users
- The anti-slip soft grip feels great and is perfect if you have a weak wrist or fingers, or suffer from arthritis
- Has 4 separate segments to assemble but feels sturdy under heavy use
- The rubbery texture of the handle means the cane can be leant against anything and it won’t fall over
- Easily adjustable to fold away
- The anti-slip tip provides extra traction and stability giving you increased confidence, particularly on uneven surfaces
- Adjustable height means it is set at the correct and best functional height for you
- There’s not much to dislike about this walking can although It can feel a little hollow at times when using.
- Weight Capacity – 250Ibs
- Product Weight – 0.74Ibs
- Cane Dimensions – (31″ – 40″) x 5.2″ x 1.5″
- Handle – Soft Grip Derby
- Tip – 3/4″
- Height Adjustable – Yes
- Wrist Strap – Yes
This a strong but lightweight functional mobility aid, with its soft grip that feels really comfortable and sturdy when walking.
This cane certainly gives you a lot for your money, and will give you a lot of use and pleasure for many years to come.
5. Best Formal Walking Cane for Men
Classic Canes Chrome Knob Formal Cane
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
This is a traditional type of cane which is more suited for formal occasions.
With its striking decorated chrome plated handle and hardwood shaft, it feels sturdy to use and will give you an elegant touch when out and about.
- Chrome plated handle
- Matt black finished hardwood shaft
- Screwed tip metal base
- Comfortable fit of handle on palm of hand
- Great for formal occasions
- Excellent stick for the price
- Sturdy and supportive
- Able to be cut down to correct height for you
- The metal screw tip base can sometimes come loose
- Overall height – 92cm (36″)
- Ferrule diameter – 19mm
- Item weight – 440g.
If you want to stand out at those formal occasions such as a wedding or special party, then this decorated formal looking cane is just what you need.
6. Best Ergonomic Walking Cane for Men
NRS Healthcare Fischer Handle Walking Stick – Adjustable Height (Right Handed)
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
This two section Walking Stick features an ergonomically designed ‘fischer style’ moulded hand grip for people who struggle to grip a conventional handled grip.
This stick is specifically for right handed use, but is also available in a left handed version.
- Biometrically shaped Fischer handle distributes pressure evenly across the hand, ideal for people who have difficulty gripping
- Extruded aluminium
- Left and right hand versions and fixed and adjustable options available
- Comfortable supportive hand grip available in both left and right versions
- Lightweight but sturdy frame
- Easy to adjust the height of the stick
Rubber ferrule at the base of the stick can be difficult to remove when replacing
- Adjustable Height: 815-1070 mm (32-42-inch)
- Product Weight: 400 grams
- Maximum user weight limit: 127 kilograms (20 stones)
This is an excellent walking stick for those who need the moulded grip support, which is both comfortable and supportive to use.
This stick really impresses and offers great value for money.
7. Best Crook Handle Walking Cane for Men
Homecraft Traditional Crook Handle Chestnut Walking Stick
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
If you are looking for a traditional crook handle wooden walking stick then this is for you.
Handcrafted out of solid chestnut, this stick offers you good support and stability when out and about on all types of terrain.
- Traditional crook handle
- Made out of solid chestnut
- Strong rubber ferrule on base
- Strong and sturdy walking stick which gives you lots of support
- Easy to remove ferrule to cut down to correct height for you
- Affordable stick which offers you great value for money
- Feels heavy and substantial when using which gives lots of confidence mobilising
- Crook handle style shape may not suit everyone’s grip
- Supplied with 19mm ‘D’ type ferrule
If you want a strong traditional straightforward walking stick, which is excellent value for money then the Homecraft Traditional Crook Handle Chestnut Walking Stick is definitely for you.
8. Best Quad Walking Cane for Men
Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare Aluminium Quad Cane Walking Aid
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
If you have general poor mobility, co-ordination and balance then a quad cane is the perfect choice for you.
Similar to a standard cane, the four small feet that extend from the base of the stick give you greater support and stability than a normal cane when walking.
- Chrome plated
- Lightweight aluminium design
- Four point rubber ferrule base
- Simple e-clip height adjustment from 72cm – 98cm (28″ – 39″) allows adaptability for different users
- Swan shaped curved neck on shaft allows user to place weight directly over stick and through to base for increased safety
- Wide base support which offer you good stability – reduces the risks of falls
- Free standing which means it is always in easy reach by your side when sitting
- Strong lightweight aluminium design
- Wider base encourage a slower gait or walking pattern which help reduce the risk of accidents or falls
- Offset swan shaped curved neck on shaft allows user to place weight directly over stick and through to base for increased safety. This reduces the stress and fatigue through your wrist and hand when using.
- A little on the heavy side for some users with limited strength
- Small Base – as shown ( 14cm x 14cm / 5 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ )
- Maximum Weight Capacity – 127Kg ( 20 Stones )
- Simple e-clip height adjustment from 72cm – 98cm (28″ – 39″
For someone who needs more support the quad cane walking aid is also available in a larger wide base ( 28cm x 17cm ).
For the price this cane offers great value for money. It is durable, supportive and sturdy for someone who needs that extra bit of support when mobilising.
9. Best Tripod Walking Cane for Men
Performance Health Adjustable Tripod Walking Stick
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
This tripod walking stick conveniently helps give those with limited mobility extra support and balance with its sturdy and durable base.
- Designed with a tripod base which provides support, stabilisation, and balance for the user
- Walking stick is adjustable between 690 to 940 mm (27″ to 37″), made of chrome plated steel with anodised aluminium neck
- Conveniently provides the user with limited mobility extra support and balance with a sturdy and durable base
- Equipped with a handle that is moulded for comfort and support. Max User Weight: 125Kgs
- The footprint of the tripod walking stick measures 165 x 140 x 140 mm, providing the perfect base for increased stability and support
- Lightweight and easy to use
- The 3 point base really helps you with your balance and feels supportive
Moulded grip support which doesn’t feel to hard on the hand when walking
- Has offset swan shaped curved neck which allows you to place your weight directly over the stick and through to base for extra stability and safety
- Depending on your balance and co-ordination you may find that you need a wider base to support you
- Walking stick is adjustable between 690 to 940 mm (27″ to 37″)
- Max User Weight: 125Kgs
- The footprint of the tripod walking stick measures 165 x 140 x 140 mm,
For those who struggle with their balance and co-ordination then this adjustable tripod walking stick is ideal for you.
It will help you increase your independence and confidence to manage your daily activities.
10. Best Designer Walking Cane for Men
Switch Stick Luxury Engraved Black Walking Stick
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
Switch Sticks Folding Adjustable Walking Stick is an elegant and stylish folding walking stick.
Available in striking black or various other colours, It is tough, durable and lightweight making it the perfect fit for you.
- Elegant and fashionable walking stick
- Made of durable, high-end aluminium
- Folds for easy storage and portability
- Lightweight aluminium frame supports up to 120 Kg
- Supplied with colour coordinated strap and ferrule
- Strong and tough aluminium frame
- Easily dismantles and folds away for easy storage
- Has colour co-ordinated wrist strap
- Supplied with a handy draw string carry bag
- You might find that even on the last notch to adjust the height, it could be a little on the small side for someone over 6 feet tall.
- Max user weight 120 Kg
- Height adjustable from 32″ to 37″
So there you have it, 10 of the best walking canes and sticks for men 2022. If you feel you need a little extra support when mobilising there are lots of different mobility aids available to choose from such as walker zimmer frames, 3 wheel walkers, 4 wheel walkers and mobility scooters, all designed to help you get safely around.
In addition, there are lots of different chair exercises you can do to keep both your joints flexible and maintain the strength in your legs when you are sat down. These exercises will help improve your mobility and prevent falls.
Things to Consider when choosing Walking Canes or Sticks
1. What is the maximum user’s weight ?
- All walking canes and sticks will have a maximum user weight, so it’s a good idea to check before purchasing.
2. Do you want an adjustable cane or stick ?
- Adjustable canes and sticks are extendable in two ways – either by a telescopic twist mechanism, that allows you to finely tune the height of your cane, or an adjustable pin mechanism that extends in small increments.
3. Do you want a foldaway cane or stick ?
- If you don’t need a walking aid all the time, then a foldaway cane or stick is a good option. Folding walking canes or sticks are ideal if you want to compact them to store away in a bag or briefcase ( often they can fold down to 10-12 inches in size ).
These types of canes and sticks seem to be growing in popularity. Many have their own wrist strap attached and a carrying case.
4. What kind of material do you want your cane made of ?
- Some people prefer the traditional feel of wood, whilst others prefer metal and carbon fibre canes and sticks, which tend to be stronger than wooden ones. Also, carbon fibre ones are more lightweight than a conventional wooden cane or stick.
5. What type of walking cane or stick handle is best ?
- Walking canes and stick handles come in a variety of styles and shapes, so it is important to consider what suits you best. You have the conventional crook handle design, T shape handles or swan neck design.
- For people with a weak grip or painful joints, or arthritic fingers a fischer style would be suitable.
- Fischer sticks are essentially a mould of your palm spreading the person’s weight across the palm of their hand. They come in either left-handed or right-handed designs, depending on which hand you use them in.
How to measure your cane or stick to ensure it’s the correct height
Making sure that that your walking cane or stick is the correct height for you is the key to safe use, improved mobility and lessens the risk of injuries occurring.
Step 1: The correct positioning for the user
The user should stand upright wearing footwear they would normally wear for walking in, with their arms relaxed (with a slight normal bend of the elbows), and by their side.
Step 2: Measure the walking cane or stick
Measure the distance from the crease line of your wrist to the floor. This is the correct height that your cane or stick should be (from the top of the handle to the underneath part of the rubber tip or ferrule).
Cut or adjust the cane or stick to the correct height you need.
Note – non-adjustable canes and sticks may need to be cut down to the correct size.
An estimate of the proper cane length can be made by dividing an individual’s height by two. For most persons, the right sized cane is within one inch of half their height. This guideline can be applied if the user is not available for an actual measurement.
How to walk correctly using your cane or stick
Tips for using walking canes and sticks for men
There are lots of helpful tips and advice to help keep you safe when you are using your cane or stick.
Tip 1. Walking with your cane or stick
If you’re using one stick, it goes on the same side as the stronger leg and moves when the weaker leg does. If you’re using two sticks, you either move them both together with the weaker leg or move them in turn together with the opposite leg.
Tip 2. Using Steps and Stairs
Generally when you are using the stairs there is one handrail, and occasionally no handrails. It is important that you use the correct technique when using your cane or stick on the stairs to reduce the risk of falls or accidents happening.
Walking Cane and Stick Accessories for Men
They not only come in different sizes but also a variety of styles and colours to suit you. It is important to check regularly your rubber ferrule (rubber tip) on the base of your cane to ensure that it has not worn down.
Cane holders are ideal when out and about and you need to place your walking stick down. The Cane Holders attach to your walking stick just below the handle, allowing you to rest it against a surface without your cane slipping and falling to the ground.
Walking cane and stick wrist straps give you added security and support when out and about. These wrist straps keep the cane or stick attached to your wrist, and are easy to grab when needed.
It is also an ideal way of preventing the cane or stick from slipping away from you, especially if you have a weaker grip. An inexpensive, but essential accessory, these wrist straps bring new life to your walking cane or stick.
Lights can be easily attached to the walking cane or stick to ensure that your path ahead is illuminated. This is especially useful for someone with poor vision, or when walking in subdued or dimly lit areas, helping to prevent falls and trips.
Hope you found the information on the best walking canes for men 2023 useful.
If you need any help or advice about a certain product, or any other questions, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com and I will be happy to help.